Monday, August 15, 2016

Text To Self : The Secret Garden

   The book I am reading is called The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett. The book is about a young tempered girl named Mary Lennox. Her parents die of a huge outbreak called Cholera. Since no one can take care of her, she is now to live at Misselthwaite Manor with her uncle Archibald Craven. She makes a new friend named Martha who tells her about a garden that hasn't been opened for 10 years.  Young Mary is determined to find the garden and open the locked door. Mary meets two new friends along the way to help her find the buried key open up the garden door.

   I did a play called, The Secret Garden and when I saw the book, The Secret Garden I was determined to read it. It was written in 1911 so I knew is was the original copy and I would learn more about The Secret Garden more than I learned about it in the play. Mary reminds me when I was little because she always wants something her way. And when I was little I would always want everything to go my way when I planned play dates or sleepovers. Mary always wanted her Ayah (that is a maid/servant) when she needed something. Mary would throw a fit and slap people if she didn't have her Ayah. It reminded me when I was little all I wanted was my Dad. Not my Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt etc. And I would throw a fit if I didn't get my Dad.

 I love the way how it is a old book and it was published in 1911. The way Mary finds out so many secrets is so cool I wish I was her because she has so many secrets I want to have secrets just like hers. The conflict doesn't stand out as much as other books conflicts do, so I just love that about the book. This is such a good book it deserves a 5 star rating. To find out more secrets about the book go and read The Secret Garden, for many secrets are waiting. 

1 comment:

  1. i liked how you made Mary have that determined sort of feeling.

    ReplyDelete