Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Text to Self: The Hunger Games

      I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This book is part one in a series of books about a world that used to be known as North America that is now the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve districts. Long ago the districts waged war against the Capitol and lost. To remind the districts that the war must never be repeated, each district must send one boy and one girl to compete in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live T.V. When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen takes her sister's place as tribute to the Games, she thinks of the word tribute as synonymous to the word corpse. While some things may unexpectedly change in the Games, one thing is always constant. Kill or be killed.

     The character, Katniss, reminds me of myself because of her being the oldest she takes care of her sister and mother when things get tough. This relates to my life because I am the oldest kid in my family and when my parents need help with watching, feeding, or taking care of my younger brothers I help. I especially take care of them when I'm watching them myself because I love them and want to keep them safe, just like Katniss. Prim, Katniss's younger sister, reminds me of my younger brother because they are both kind and love to goof around with me. These are two relations from The Hunger Games and my life.

     I love the author's idea for this book and the way she wrote it. I think it displayed a great example of science fiction by how it was set in a messed up, future world. The books lesson on how a ruling government/capitol should not be fully in charge is a great moral. I recommend this book to people who like science fiction, adventure, drama, and action. It is a really interesting and engaging story.

No comments:

Post a Comment