Friday, August 19, 2016

Text to Self: The Egypt Game

The two girls are only playing a game, at least they think it is. The Egypt Game, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, is a story about two girls named April and Melanie taking an interest into the ancient Egypt traditions and way of life. The two start playing a game as if they are ancient Egyptians, including some friends. After a murder, the children are not allowed to go outside, limiting their time to do their ceremonies. Then they plot to go sneak out and continue. About a week later, as they do a secret future telling with Thoth, someone answers. No one knows how. No one knows who did it.
   These characters remind me of me and my brother when we were little. We used to go outside and pretend things. For example, one day we are playing airplane on a seesaw or police officers on the playground. He and I always used our imaginations to entertain ourselves. Like in the text, April and Melanie used their imaginations to create an Egypt of their own.They used objects and buildings around them to play, just like me and my brother. One time, my brother and I pretended to travel across the world. My house would be the airport, the grass would be Africa (because the grass was dead), our pool would be the ocean, our tree would be a forest, and the side gate would be a prison. Although unlike April and Melanie, my brother and I were still around four and five years old. While Melanie and April are eleven.
   I noticed that April and Melanie wanted their Egypt Game to be secret. They did use a "secret" location, and wanted no one to know about it but them. Until now. After simulating a ceremony for the future, something starts happening the the players. Does the game have real powers? Is someone watching them? Has the Egypt game gone too far?

1 comment:

  1. You used amazing word choice and I love your text to self connection! Great job!

    ReplyDelete