Monday, August 8, 2016

Text to Self: The Raft

I am reading The Raft by S.A. Bodeen. The Raft is a realistic fiction survival story.  Robie lives in Midway with her family. She is home schooled, they have no TV, and sometimes it drives her crazy. Every once in a while she goes to visit AJ, her Aunt, in Hawaii. It is the one time she gets to shop, go to restaurants, and to get some air. She has a week left in Hawaii when AJ gets a call saying she has to be in Las Vegas for her job. Robbie asks if she can stay in Hawaii while AJ is gone. They make a deal that Robie can stay only if AJs friend comes and checks on her every day. When AJ leaves, Bobbi calls and tells Robie she can't check up on her and Robie says that's okay. She stays by herself and doesn't tell AJ. That same night, some random man starts pulling her hair and yelling at her to come back and it scares her. She decides to catch a plane flight to midway and go home. But then her plane goes down and she has to survive on a raft with another man with no food or water.


This character reminds me of my friend Emmalee because she goes to Canada for a month to see her family. This character reminds me of me because I go to my aunts sometimes to get away from the craziness of my family. This situation reminds me  of a similar I have been in because I went shopping a lot in Hawaii. This also reminds me of how a lot of people I know get sad to be homeschooled.


I love the way I can relate to things in this story. It shows how the character has a regular life. It gives you something to relate to before the problem starts. I would recommend this book to people who like realistic fiction.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The description of the book is really good. It makes me want to read it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete