Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Blog 1 - Text to Self

I am reading the  book  Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This book is part 1 in a series of books about a small town boy who falls for the “new girl” in town. Only this isn’t any regular girl. She is a “castor” or a witch, she has special powers. When she moves into town they realize they have a strong connection. The problem is she is different from everyone else. When she turns 16 fate decides whether she will be a dark or evil castor or a light castor. The closer it gets to her 16th birthday the crazier both of their lives get.
I had a strong connection to Lena this story. No, I am not a castor with magical powers or anything but she is different. Now, because she is different she isn’t treated very nice by her peers at school. When I was in middle school I had peers that weren’t so nice to me. They would tease me because I didn’t have the brand name clothes or because I wore glasses. They made it so I didn’t want to go to school just like Lena hated going to school because the cheerleaders would make her life miserable.
At first I didn’t think I would really get into this book because it is “super natural”. I love how they brought pieces of civil war history and the history or family into the story.  I was surprised by the ending because it Ethan doesn’t realize that Lena saved his life.  But because she saved Ethan’s life someone else important to her died. I can definitely see why the series needs to continue.  I need some resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment